Comfort, productivity, advanced technology
Good visibility is key to your safety and efficiency. Large windows make it easy to see the moldboard and tires, as well as behind the machine. A rear vision camera is available to enhance your sight lines to the rear of the machine.
Comfort and Control
Experience the most spacious, comfortable cab in the industry. Revolutionary joystick controls replace levers, so hand and arm movement is reduced by 78%, helping to reduce operator fatigue. Rocker switches and control levers are in easy reach.
A standard Cat Comfort Series suspension seat and electronically adjustable control pods add even more to comfort and productivity. Multiple isolation mounts significantly reduce sound and vibration for a more relaxed work environment.
The high capacity Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system dehumidifies and pressurizes the cab, circulates fresh air, seals out dust and keeps windows clear.
Enjoy streaming audio from a portable device or hands-free use of a mobile phone while operating machine with available Bluetooth technology.
In-Dash Instrument Cluster
Easy-to-read, high-visibility gauges and warning lamps keep you aware of critical system information. Cat Messenger offers real-time machine performance and diagnostic data to help you get the most from your machine.
Steering and Implement Controls
Unprecedented precision and ease of operation
Operators are more comfortable and productive with two electro-hydraulic joysticks. Electronically adjustable control pods help position operators for optimal visibility and proper operation.
The left joystick controls steering, articulation, return-to-center, wheel lean, gear selection, left moldboard lift cylinder and float.
The right joystick controls drawbar, circle and moldboard functions as well as electronic throttle control and manual differential lock/unlock.
Joystick lean angle mirrors the steer tires’ turning angle. A brake tensioning system holds the joystick in position until the operator moves it. The steering control automatically reduces steering sensitivity at higher ground speeds for predictable control.
A Programmable Auxiliary Hydraulic Pod controls up to five additional hydraulic circuits to optimize your machine for specific applications.
Electronic Throttle Control
Provides easy, precise and consistent throttle operation. An automatic/manual mode switch offers flexibility for different applications and operator preferences.
Automatically returns the machine to a straight frame position from any angle with the touch of a button.
Selectable Blade Lift Modes
Choose the blade lift modulation mode that best fits your application or operating style: Fine, Normal, or Coarse.
Power and reliability
The Cat C13 engine with ACERT™ Technology gives you the performance to maintain consistent grading speeds for maximum productivity. Superior torque and lugging capability pulls through sudden, short-term load increases.
ACERT Technology lowers combustion chamber temperatures and optimizes fuel combustion to generate more work output for your fuel cost.
Variable Horsepower (VHP) is standard, delivering an additional 3.73 kW (5 hp) in forward gears 1-4 and reverse gears 1-3. This balances traction, speed and horsepower to optimize rimpull and conserves fuel. VHP Plus is optional, giving you an additional 3.73 kW (5 hp) in gears 1-8 for more power at higher speeds.
Hydraulic Demand Fan
The hydraulic demand fan automatically adjusts fan speed to meet engine cooling requirements. When demand is reduced, you benefit from more power to the ground and improved fuel efficiency.
The standard three-phase compression brake enables higher travel speeds downhill, while reducing wear on brake components. This improves overall productivity and lowers your maintenance costs.
Ether Starting Aid
A standard ether starting aid helps cold-weather startups in extreme temperatures.
Engine Idle Shutdown Timer
This standard feature can be software-enabled by your Cat dealer to shut down the engine after a set period of time to save you fuel and help reduce emissions.
Maximum power to the ground
We designed the 16M to give you efficiency and longevity in your most demanding applications.
- Optional Automatic Differential Lock unlocks the differential during a turn and re-locks when straight for easier operation and improved power train protection.
- Full Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC) system optimizes inching modulation for smooth shifts and directional changes, reducing stress on gears.
- Standard Programmable Autoshift simplifies operation by allowing the operator to program the transmission to shift at optimal points to match your application.
- Power Shift Countershaft Transmission is matched to the Cat engine to maximize power to the ground.
- Eight forward and six reverse gears are specifically designed to give you a wide operating range for maximum productivity in all earthmoving applications.
- Engine Over-Speed Protection prevents downshifting until an acceptable safe travel speed has been established.
Front and Rear Axles
The sealed spindle keeps front axle bearings lubricated and protected from contaminants. The Cat “Live Spindle” design places the larger tapered roller bearing on the outside, where the load is greater, extending bearing life.
A bolt-on modular rear axle improves serviceability and contamination control with easy access to differential components.
Oil-bathed multi-disc service brakes are hydraulically actuated for smooth, predictable braking and lower operating costs. Brakes are located at each tandem wheel for a large total brake surface area to give you dependable stopping power and longer life.
Structures and Drawbar-Circle-Moldboard
Service ease and precise blade control
Caterpillar designs motor grader frame and drawbar components to give you performance and durability in heavy duty applications. The one-piece forged steel circle stands up to high stress loads, and a sacrificial wear system helps keep your service time and costs down.
The articulation hitch features a large tapered roller bearing to carry loads evenly and smoothly. It is sealed to prevent contamination and a locking pin prevents articulation for safety during service or transport.
Blade Angle and Moldboard
An aggressive blade angle helps you work more efficiently by allowing material to roll more freely along the blade.
Heat-treated rails, hardened cutting edges and end bits, and heavy duty bolts to give you greater moldboard reliability and long service life. The link bar allows extreme moldboard positioning for easier bank sloping and ditch cutting/cleaning.
Easy Maintenance for More Uptime
A series of shims, patented top-adjust wear strips and wear inserts are easy to add or replace. This keeps drawbar‑circle-moldboard components factory-tight for higher quality work, and saves you service time and costs. An adjustable rear circle drive reduces service time and reduces wear by keeping components tight.
Advanced machine control
State-of-the-art electro-hydraulics gives you advanced machine controls with precise and predictable movements.
Load Sensing Hydraulics (PPPC)
A proven load-sensing system and advanced Proportional Priority Pressure-Compensating (PPPC) electro-hydraulic valves give you superior implement control and enhanced machine performance. Continuously matching hydraulic flow/pressure to power demands creates less heat and reduces power consumption.
- Consistent, Predictable Movement – PPPC valves have different flow rates for the head and rod ends of the cylinder, so you can count on consistent, predictable implement response.
- Balanced Flow – Hydraulic flow is proportioned to give you confidence that all implements will operate simultaneously without slowing the engine or speed of some implements.
Allows the blade to move freely under its own weight. By floating both cylinders, the blade can follow the contours of the haul road. Floating only one cylinder permits the toe of the blade to follow a hard surface while the operator controls the slope with the other lift cylinder. An optional Variable Down Pressure feature allows you to select the amount of down force when the blade is in float. This helps you extend cutting edge life and is effective for removing snow and mud from a road surface.
Independent Oil Supply
Large, separate hydraulic oil supplies prevent cross-contamination and provide proper oil cooling, which reduces heat build-up and extends component life. Cat XT™ hose allows high pressures for maximum power and reduced downtime.
Solutions to make work easier and more efficient
Cat Grade Control
Cat Grade Control Cross Slope is a standard, fully integrated, factory installed grade control system that helps your operator more easily maintain desired cross slope by automatically controlling one side of the blade. The system is job-ready from day one, and scalable for the future with AccuGrade™ upgrade kits that provide additional 2D and/or 3D control features.
Cat MineStar™ System
The optional Cat MineStar System is the industry’s broadest suite of integrated mine operations and mobile equipment management technologies, configurable to suit your operation’s needs.
- Fleet provides real-time machine tracking, assignment and productivity management, giving you a comprehensive overview of all operations from anywhere in the world.
- Terrain enables high-precision management of drilling, dragline, grading and loading operations through the use of guidance technology. It increases machine productivity and provides you real-time feedback for improved efficiency.
- Detect helps increase operator awareness, enhancing safety at your operation. It includes a range of capabilities designed to assist the operator with areas of limited visibility around fixed and mobile equipment.
- Health works to minimize unscheduled downtime and productivity loss, plus helps you keep your operating costs in check by streamlining service and maintenance management.
For additional information, please see your Cat dealer or visit mining.cat.com/miningtechnology.
Cat Product Link™*
Remote monitoring with Product Link improves your overall fleet management effectiveness. Events, diagnostic codes and data like hours, fuel, idle time are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink™. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to you and your Cat dealers, including mapping, working and idle time, fuel level and more.
*Product Link licensing not available in all areas. Please consult your Cat dealer for availability.
Designed with protection in mind
Optional factory installed wrap-around platform has rear enclosure walkways, left walkway lighting, rear fenders, left-rear swing-down ladder and a right-front cab egress ladder.
Operator Not Present Monitoring System
Keeps the parking brake engaged and hydraulic implements disabled until the operator is initially seated and the machine is ready for operation.
Speed Sensitive Steering
Makes steering less sensitive as ground speed increases for greater operator confidence and control.
Secondary Steering System
Automatically engages an electric hydraulic pump in case of a drop in steering pressure so the operator can steer the machine to a stop.
Disables all implement functions while still providing machine steering control. This safety feature is especially useful while roading.
Brakes are located at each tandem wheel to eliminate braking loads on the power train. Redundant brake systems utilize accumulators to enable stopping in case of engine failure.
Walkways and Grab Rails
Perforated steel tandem walkways and conveniently located grab rails offer a sturdy platform and support for moving on, off and around the machine. Lighting can be activated from ground level and turned off via in-cab switch.
Optional camera and radar system alerts operator via an in-cab display if any objects are in close proximity when the machine is in reverse. The scalable system allows cameras and a display to be installed initially and radar to be added later for additional functionality.
A camera with in-cab monitor is available to further enhance lines of sight and help operators be more aware of their surroundings.
Circle Drive Slip Clutch
Protects the drawbar, circle and moldboard from shock loads when the blade encounters an immovable object. This standard feature also reduces the possibility of abrupt directional changes in poor traction conditions.
Blade Lift Accumulators
Help absorb impact loads to the moldboard by allowing vertical blade travel. This standard feature helps reduce unnecessary wear and also helps reduce impact loading for enhanced operator safety.
Other Safety Features
- Grouped, ground level service points
- Laminated front window glass
- Optional LED Lighting
- Ground-level electrical disconnect switch
- Ground-level engine shutoff switch
- Optional window cleaning platform
- Dual exits
- Auxiliary equipment mounting area
- Glare reducing paint for night operation
Serviceability and Customer Support
When uptime counts
Cat motor graders are designed to help customers increase uptime and reduce costs. Grouped service points and extended service intervals save maintenance time. An optional Automatic Lubrication System maintains proper grease on working surfaces, increasing component life and purging contaminants from pins and bushings to help prevent damage. Standard Fast-Fill allows customers to refuel in less than two minutes to get back on the job quickly.
- Cat Messenger, combined with full systems integration, enhances diagnostic capability for quick analysis of critical data.
- Electronic Technician (Cat ET) lets service technicians access stored diagnostic data and configure machine parameters through the Cat Data Link.
- Low Battery Elevated Idle raises idle speed when low system voltage is detected, ensuring adequate system voltage and improving battery reliability.
- Automatic Engine Deration protects the engine by automatically lowering engine torque output and alerting the operator if critical conditions are detected.
Unparalleled Dealer Support
When it comes to supporting customers, especially in remote or challenging conditions, Cat dealers are second to none. From machine selection and purchase to maintenance support and rebuilds, Cat dealers have the experience and capabilities to keep customers up and running.
Thinking generations ahead
• Integrated machine systems and technologies improve productivity for greater accuracy, allowing the machine to do more work per gallon of fuel.
Green House Gas Emissions
• Emissions reduction technologies reduce NOX + HC (hydrocarbon) emissions by 38% (g/kW-hr) as compared to the previous model.
Material Efficiency and Lifecycle Costs
- Replaceable wear parts save maintenance time and cost, and extend major component life.
- Major components are built to be rebuilt, eliminating waste and saving customers money by giving the machine and/or major components a second – and even third – life.
- Machine is built with a 94% recyclability rate (ISO 16714) to conserve valuable natural resources and further enhance machine end‑of‑life value.
• Reduced engine noise and quieter cabs mean lower operator and spectator sound levels.
• A variety of safety features help safeguard operators and others on the job site.
Work Tools and Attachments
Equip your machine for the job
A 4.9 m (16 ft) moldboard is standard on the 16M.
Ground Engaging Tools (GET)
A variety of tools are available from Cat Work Tools, including cutting edges, graderbits and end bits, all designed for maximum service life and productivity.
Front Mounted Groups
A front mounted push plate/counterweight or front lift group are available. The front lift group can be combined with a front dozer blade for added versatility.
Made to penetrate tough material fast and rip thoroughly for easier movement with the moldboard. The ripper includes three shanks with the ability to add four more for additional versatility.